So I just got through designating my own set of arbitrary awards for “Must See” KDrama when I got this lovely message from Maybee at dramababble telling me that she had nominated me for a Liebster Award. Please check out her fantastic blog and read her own Liebster Award entry!
First, let me just say – “Oh, what an honor! I would like to thank my agent, my manager, my personal assistant, my amazing cast and crew…” uh wait… wrong dream. Umm… THANK YOU, MAYBEE! [PS – and then I just received another nomination from Betsy — it’s a daisy chain! ‘Cause I have nominated them tooo! – Thank you, Betsy!]
As Maybee explains it, the Liebster Award “is a sort of getting-to-know-you kind of thing passed around among bloggers who have recently started with this blogging adventure.” So far, so good. I can’t vouch for anything other than my newness to the blogosphere and to KDrama so I hope that in responding to the Liebster call, I can do these nominations some justice.
The rules for receiving this award:
- List 11 random facts about yourself.
- Answer the questions designated by the blogger(s) who nominated you.
- Place your nominations for the Liebster Award! Nominate five (or more) other bloggers that have less than 200 followers. Make sure to notify them via comment/email, etc.
- Make up a set of questions for those nominated bloggers to answer.
- Display the Liebster award badge on your blog!
So I’ll take my cue from Maybee’s visual wit and start off my list with a self portrait:
11 Random Facts About Me
- I love reading — poetry in particular, but not everything; I love epic poetry and lyric poetry and bucolic poetry. Don’t care for anything after the second half of the twentieth century.
- In prose I also love the fiction of José Saramago and not much else really.
- Well, I also love, love, love the well written essay. Hence the rambling…;-)
- Okay, so I also love folk stories and pretty much any well told tale.
- I like wearing scarves and I have them for every season – Winter, Spring, Summer or Fall. I wear them over my shoulders, around my neck, on my head…
- I love swimming – although I have to admit that I’ve been a tad lazy about it.
- I love playing the piano, although I’ve been a tad lazy about that too.
- My favorite person in the world is my little niece.
- My other favorite person is my sister (yep, the advent of her baby scooted her over on the favorite person list).
- I am in awe of brilliant artists who work incredibly hard at their craft and then when they execute (whether in performance, composition) do so without breaking a sweat.
- I am thrilled to be alive in a world so full of beauty, both natural and man made!
- Name your favouriteeeest Kdrama heroine and why. You can list more than one but must specify reasons.
- Lady Soseono from Jumong – brilliant, independent, bad-ass and possessed of an enormous heart.
- I have to say Deokman and Dong Yi are pretty awsome too in their analytical and strategic brilliance… ahhh!
- Shin Yun Bok from Painter of the Wind – the part about her being a girl is probably fictional, but what a fantastic artist (and I love everything Moon Geun Young does!).
- Hwang Jin Yi from Hwang Jin Yi – she lived for her art.
- Puku / Ja Myung from Ja Myung Go – she lived for her principles (and I love everything Jung Ryeo Won does 🙂 )
- Which Kdrama character/s do you identify with the most and why?
- Well, curiously, probably with some combination of the characters Moon Geun Young portrays in the dramas I’ve seen (namely: The Painter of the Wind, Cheongdamdong Alice, Mary Stayed Out All Night, Love Me Not and even Autumn in my Heart). She tends to portray girls or women who occupy largely undefined, marginal roles in society and who are most at home in the social no-man’s lands dramatized in their stories rather than in the mainstream.
- What Kdrama trope gets you rolling your eyes and gives you hives? (Clearly, a hyperbole, but indulge me, please.)
- ummm… I have not gotten to a point where any particular trope really gets me rolling my eyes, let alone gives me hives ;-). I’m generally game if a cliché serves the story or the storytelling. Now if it’s done badly, that’s another issue.
- What do you look for in a fellow Kdrama blogger? (hahahah. Sounds like a dating site question? Indulge me.)
- I enjoy learning new things so anyone who teaches me something new gets a thumbs up. I am a huge fan of good humor and curiosity in a blogger, so…
- What’s the best thing about blogging?
- Ummm, in truth, getting to externalize the inner monologue transpiring in the labyrinthine area between my ears and occasionally getting to engage in cool dialogue with fellow bloggers about a shared pass-time.
- What’s the worst thing about blogging?
- Typos. I cannot seem to NOT make them. Ughhh! [Lord, I hope their aren’y any in this posy!]
- What would you be reborn as? And why? (Yes, “why” is my favourite question. Why? Why? Why?)
- I should like to come back as a Humpback Whale. I love swimming and I love taking my time and I love singing and I love traveling… I may be mistaken, but these all seem like basic parts of the Humpback Whale’s life…
- If you could have one mutant power, what power would it be?
- Hmm – I think running really really fast. Not ‘The Flash’ fast — I’m not really in a hurry to get anywhere and I actually want to see and enjoy the scenery as I move. Maybe the cheetah fast. I like the feel of the wind on my face plus the sustained high you get from long distance running but I’d like to enjoy both without ever getting tired or sore. See, I love running, but I get slower every year as it gets more laborious…
- Breakfast, lunch or dinner?
- Breakfast – every cheetah has got to start the day right. Plus, when it’s brunch with friends we get to make crepes and omelets and tea… and then just hang around goofing off…
- Why a blog and why the k-drama?
- You know how when you ‘discover’ something beautiful you just want to tell all your friends about it because you want them to experience your exhilaration and pretty soon you are telling strangers about it and even if no one gets why you think this ‘discovery’ is so awesome you cannot stop going on and on and on – kinda like Tom Cruise jumping on Oprah’s sofa? Well on the interwebs you get to jump as much as you wish on as many sofas as you want and if your friends and the occasional stranger wants to join in, they are welcome and free to do so and they don’t have to be either perplexed or tolerant because you are not making them listen to you wax on and on and on. Well, KDrama is that beautiful thing that I ‘discovered’.
- If you could be in a k-drama, what drama would you choose? And would you be an established character, yourself, yourself with mutant powers, fill-in-blank?
- Oh, no question: Deep Rooted Tree. I would be one of the palace maids working with So-Yi, King Sejong and company to prepare the Hunmin Jeongeum (훈민정음).
- If you created a second blog about something completely different from what you’re blogging about now, what would it be about?
- Funny you should ask… I actually keep a blog about Music, specifically piano music and the repertoire I’m developing. Right now I am working on Bach and will be spending much of the summer on his French Suites. Since KDrama sort of took over SPQ&R, that other blog has become a catch-all for my other loves like Poetry, Learning Korean, Art … but mostly Piano Music and the Classical repertoire. I have not been terribly faithful to either, but I hope to do better…
- Okay. All done!
Okay – so this is a bit of a daisy chain – a ‘what goes around comes around’ set of nominations, but these happen to be the bloggers from whom I have discovered and learned the most, and with whom I have engaged the most in my little corner of the interwebs. I guarantee that you will enjoy visiting each one and may even stay for tea if you like what you see…
- Mihansa from Mihansa – as in Miguk-Hanguk-Sageuk – where I get my “let me think about this for a moment” fix from a bonafide KDrama blogger. There is a lot of no-nonsense and plenty of good humor and laughter to be had here.
- Maybee from DRAMABABBLE – I always get a kick out of Maybee’s cogitations and wry visual wit.
- Betsy from Creating Volumes – another bonafide KDrama blogger. Maybee is right, Betsy is both good-natured and optimistic and offers plenty of insight into KDrama.
- Archana from 반짝반짝 – although this is more a language blog than a drama blog, I love visiting occasionally because I identify with Archana’s story.
Since my questions are a bit involved, I will ask only a few 😉
- If you were organizing an award ceremony for KDramas and you got to decide the most meaningful storytelling categories to be judged, what would they be? Name as many as you like and briefly tell us what you are looking for in the winner(s).
- If you had to compare your experience with KDrama with literature, which literary titles come to mind and what is the analogy you would draw with KDrama? Here you can be as general or as specific as you like.
- Suppose you were given the green light and full budget to produce your own KDrama series, what story would you tell? Tell us about the genre (melo, rom-com, sageuk), the source (original, remake, history, mythology)…
- Now for the gimme: Have you ever tried to stuff your mouth with food the way they do in KDrama (especially in contemporary comedies)? If so, how did that turn out? [Full disclosure: I’m reeeally impressionable so I tried it once and… well.., Oh, wait, I’m the one asking questions now, so have at it!]
Have fun! I can’t wait to discover what you have to say. In case any of my nominees are unfamiliar to you, please visit their blogs – you’ll be glad you did! Peace 🙂